Green Innovations - City Square MallShare
Since day one, City Square Mall has been conceptualised with environmental sustainability in mind. With extensive green innovations, City Square Mall has been designed to be a showcase of an eco-friendly and community-friendly mall. The 700,000 square feet Mall is also an effective platform for CDL to reach out to our tenants and community-at-large and raise their level of eco-consciousness through its programmes and initiatives. For instance, the Mall was the perfect test bed for NTUC FairPrice, Singapore's largest supermarket retailer to launch their pilot eco-friendly outlet which includes features such as a green store design, green technology and green products and services.
|The first commercial development to be accorded a Building and
Construction Authority (BCA) Green Mark Platinum Award, City Square
Mall boasts of an extensive range of innovative green features.
City Green, the first public park to be integrated with a mall, was designed to provide a learning experience about ecology and the natural environment. The 49,000 square feet park feels like a green carpet laid out in front of the mall to welcome visitors.
The first commercial development to be accorded a Building and Construction Authority (BCA) Green Mark Platinum Award, City Square Mall offers an array of green features.
- Estimated annual electricity savings: Over 11 million kWh per year, equivalent to the electricity consumption from more than 2,000 4-room HDB flats
- Estimated reduction in CO2 emission: Over 5,000 tonnes per year, equivalent to over 140,000 trees required to absorb the amount of CO2 emission
- Estimated annual water savings: Over 20,000 m3 per year, equivalent to 10 Olympic-sized swimming pools
Extensive Green Features
- Screens around the Mall display real-time performance of energy consumption, carbon dioxide level, solar energy amount, humidity level and temperature etc to raise shoppers’ eco-awareness
- Labelling of eco-features to provide shoppers with an eco-learning experience
- Twin Chute Pneumatic Waste Disposal System for tenants to separate general and recyclable waste
- Electric-car ready parking lots with charging stations and dedicated lots for Hybrid cars
- Driveway motion sensors to control lighting level at B4 carpark result in an estimated electricity savings of 50,000 kWh annually
- Carbon monoxide sensors for basement carpark will lead to estimated energy savings of over 2 million kWh per year
- Eco-restrooms comprise waterless urinals to save estimated 3,000 m3 of water annually
- High efficiency chiller plant equipment with estimated energy savings of 4.7 million kWh annually
Green Awards & Accolades
- Distinction Award in the 3R Packaging Awards 2011
The 3R Packaging Awards serve to recognise signatories who have made notable efforts and achievements in reducing packaging waste, under the Singapore Packaging Agreement (SPA) initiated by the National Environment Agency (NEA). The candidates are accessed on their efforts in setting up / effective use of infrastructure to facilitate recycling, reuse or recycling of waste including packaging waste, consumer education on the 3Rs and implementation of programmes to prevent waste, including packaging waste.
- Energy Efficiency Competition at the 2011 ASEAN Energy Awards (First Runner-Up in New and Existing Category)
Organised by the ASEAN Centre of Energy (ACE), the annual ASEAN Energy Awards recognise the efforts of progressive ASEAN companies to integrate energy efficient practices in their buildings and projects. City Square Mall emerged as the first runner-up (in the New and Existing category) for Energy Efficiency and Conservation Best Practices Competition for Energy Efficient Buildings. It is the only retail mall in Singapore to clinch a place in this category's list of winners.
- FIABCI Prix d'Excellence Awards 2011 (Runner-up in Retail Category)
FIABCI is the French acronym for The International Real Estate Federation that represents the world's real estate professions through its Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations Organisation. The FIABCI Prix d'Excellence Award recognises projects that best embody excellence in all the real estate disciplines involved in its creation. Awarded by an international panel comprising top real estate professionals and experts, the FIABCI Prix d'Excellence Award rewards overall merit in addition to aesthetics, functionality and size.
- FuturArc Green Leadership Award 2011 for Commercial Architecture at the BCI Asia Awards 2011
The FuturArc Green Leadership Award (formerly known as the BCI Green Design Award) was launched in 2009 by the BCI Group of Companies to seek out innovative and ecologically responsible buildings in Asia. The award recognises the team behind a completed project: the developer, consultants and contractors, who have collectively pushed the limits and definition of what a Green building is in Asia-Pacific. The competition seeks to award teams that have demonstrated the best in innovation and environmental stewardship in architecture.
- Gold Award for Universal Design Award for the Built Environment – Commercial Building Category in 2010 by Building & Construction Authority (BCA)
The objective of the BCA Universal Design Award is to give recognition to good practices and special efforts taken to raise awareness of the importance of providing seamless accessible built environment for all. City Square Mall was awarded Gold for the key features that included seamless integration to MRT station, universal friendly customer service counters that cater to all, special attention to users' needs in the micro design, designated priority parking catering to families, the handicapped, hybrid and electric cars. Detailed provisions of family-friendly facilities are also depicted clearly on the toilet signage.
- 2008 Cityscape Asia Real Estate Awards: Best Developer – Retail (Future)
The Cityscape Asia Real Estate Awards seek to recognise and reward Asia's real estate industry professionals and companies that have shown outstanding performance and achievement. City Square Mall was awarded this prestigious accolade for its innovative architecture and overall strategy, responding to issues such as social responsibility, pedestrian-friendly design, transport and sustainability.
- Green Mark Platinum Award in 2007 by the Building & Construction Authority (BCA)
The Green Mark Platinum Award is presented to exemplary green projects that effectively demonstrate 30% energy and water savings, as well as environmentally sustainable building practices and innovative green features. City Square Mall is the first mall in Singapore to be awarded this highest honour.